Monday, November 24, 2008

A New Earth Commentary

A New Earth

by Eckhart Tolle

Commentary by Peter K Bullock, MDiv, MS

Premise 1

A new age, a new era, even a new species is arising

Premise 2

This new development is a result of a new “consciousness”

Premise 3

New consciousness = break with the ego defined as “self”

Premise 4

New consciousness (awareness) is that elusive sense that is not attached to the ego (which is, according to Tolle, at best a functional operation and at worst a “false self”)

Premise 5

New consciousness, or break with attachment to “ego” frees one from pain, anxiety, depression and the general malaise of neurosis of human suffering

Premise 6

The “I” that emerges with this new consciousness is transcendent and eternal

Premise 7

As such, these “enlightened” beings can envision and even help bring about a “New Earth”

Tolle’s book, published in 2005 and on bookshelves recently, is an interesting, thoughtful reflection on certain “spiritual” insights. I cannot help but think of “Quoheleth” the “preacher” (Ecclesiates in the OT) who said “there is nothing new under the sun” – (350 BCE).

For Example:

Sidarrtha Gautama (463 BCE)

The Buddha thought that life as perceived through our body and mind is an illusion and therefore pain and suffering and even happiness is an illusion and an illusion does not exist, ergo, no pain, etc

Jesus of Nazareth (AD 29-32)

The Kingdom of God is within you and is found by prioritizing its existence and finding it is a “Pearl of Great Price.” If found, it is freeing, transforming, and is, in effect, synonymous with salvation. Also, He said “I am come that you may have life and life abundantly.” I have never seen this pericope as pointing to either heaven or plenty, but in truth, a quality of life rather than a quantified life.

Paul (Circa 60 AD)

“Don’t let the world (ego) press you into it’s mold, but be transformed by having the mind of Christ in you.” “I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ who lives in me.” If any be in Christ Jesus they are a new being.

C G Jung (Early 20th Century)

Jung, along with Freud, the delineator of the unconscious or psyche or soul. Inner transformation occurs only by an inner search to find, understand, or at least grasp some knowledge of “who am I really?” His great contribution concerns archetypes, unconscious constellations of meaningful drives and motivations all out of consciousness. The goal is to bring into consciousness through awareness. Two of these archetypes “anima” (female) and “animus” (male) Tolle refers to, but in a simplistic and stereotypical manner, and even reduces these feminine and masculine characteristics to a description of countries in terms of how women are seen and treated.

Juan Ramón Jiménez (1973)

Tolle’s construction I (the emerged new consciousness) am not I (the ego)

I am not I.

I am this one

Walking beside me whom I do not see,

Whom at times I manage to visit,

And at other times I forget.

The one who remains silent when I talk,

The one who forgives, sweet, when I hate,

The one who takes a walk when I am indoors,

The one who will remain standing when I die.

Without sounding too critical, my experience of “The New Earth” is that it is a rehash of ideas and concepts that are in fact ancient. To his credit, Tolle compiles these (sort of) with a readable, and I might add “easy” enough notions to make his book marketable. Actually, what he says is not refreshingly said, but I certainly would not deny him the right to say – or sell it. Gurus come and go. I have been temporarily fascinated by my share. There is only one of whom it is said “there is no shadow of turning” and He remains the same today and forever – and He is Love – and that is the last thing standing when all else has fallen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't tell you how glad it is to read your words. Loved the story about the "egg", etc. Nature and all its animal, fowl and fish kingdom will always touch people's hearts. You are an excellent writer. Looking forward to more. Thank you Peter